Worth seeing - historical monuments

Printer-friendly versionPDF version
  • The Parish Church of Saint Theodor Martyr in Kociszew

The church is built of logs and its framework construction comes probably from 1765. It was consecrated in 1783. It was founded by Zygmunt Dobek- a sword-bearer of Sieradz who, on the order of the Archbishop of Gniezno, Earl of Małoszyn and Raczyn Raczyński built it in place of a burnt wooden chapel of St. Mary of the Assumption, consecrated in 1661. Similarly to the former chapel, it was a branch church of Łobudzice parish. It was not until 1789 that the Consistory of Gniezno constituted it a church of a newly established Kociszew parish. Inside one can see the preserved relics of St. Theodor Martyr introduced to the church on 9th Novemeber 1663.

  • The Parish Church of Saint Wawrzyniec and Tomasz in Łobudzice

The larch church coming from 1795, built in the late Baroque style. The Parish of Łobudzice is the oldest one in the commune. It was erogated in 1488 by the Archbishop of Gniezno, Zbigniew Olesnicki. At the same time the first wooden church of St. Wawrzyniec was created. In 1751 it was pulled into pieces and the new owner of the Łobudzice village, Żeleniew foreman, Władysław Jeżewski built a new temple there. The third church in Łobudzice was created after the fire in 1795, its founder was the next owner of the village Kazimierz Krzycki, the general of the Polish Army. Thanks to its painting of Saint Mary of Comfort and The Heavenly Healer from the turn of 17th and 18th centuries, the church in Łobudzice is on the list of Polish Saint Mary's sanctuaries.

  • The Parish Church of Saint Kazimierz and Saint Barbara in Pożdżenice

The wooden church originating from the turn of 18th and 19th century was built on a frame of a rectangular outline. The first record of the church comes from 1622, when the parish in Pożdżenice was erogated by Wojciech and Barbara Wężykowie Gmolińscy. It was consecrated by the parson Mikołaj Starzyński, the mitre's man of Łask, the canon of Gniezno. The current church was built on the place of the old one. There are two hypotheses concerning the new temple. One of them says that it was founded in the 18th century by the castellan of Sieradz Henryk Miączyński, the landlord of Pożdżenice. Other sources give the account of its being founded in the middle of the 19th century. It is certain that around 1867 the temple in Pożdżenice became a branch church of the parish in Wygiełzów. The parish was reestablished in 1958 and it still exists.

  • The Parish Church of Saint Mary's Visitation in Wygiełzów

The church in Wygiełzów comes from the first half of the 15th century. Unfortunately, the old building burnt and in 1796, on its place, there appeared a big wooden chapel founded by Celestyn Gorczycki, the land magistrate of Sieradz, the heir of Wygiełzów. The temple was renovated and enlarged in 1932. Undoubtedly, an interesting thing is the fact that in 1990, during tearing off the old floor a double-arched tomb with a section wall.

  • The Evangelic Reformed Church in Zelów

It is the first monumental building in Zelów, coming from 1825. The brick church was built on the basis of the architect Zille's project. It was built on a frame of a rectangular outline with a square tower. From the west it is a dominant view closing Sienkiewicz Street. The exterior of the church was based on the model of provincial classicism. Inside there are Czech inscriptions and among them plaques in memory of Jan Hus and Jan Kalwin. Nearby there is a cemetery where one can find graves and monuments with inscriptions in Czech.

  • The Manor in Krześlów

The first record of the manor comes form 1670. Undoubtedly, it was the fortified manor built on a mound, probably in 16th - 17th centuries. It was destroyed in the first half of the 17th century. The next manor was built in 1758 under Siemiński's rule and the cellar door and decorative inlay cupboard come from that time. In its present classicistic form the manor was probably built in 1846 on Wincenty Węsierski's initiative. Nearby there is also a distillery from 1880.